Children's nutrition is vital to their healthy vital growth and education.
- 96% of children do not eat the recommended 5 fruit / veg a day
- The UK has the highest childhood obesity rate in Europe.
- 1 in 4 UK kids are already overweight or obese by the age of 4; by 11yrs olds this has risen to 1 in 3.
- According to Jamie Oliver’s food foundation it’s not just children who benefit from fresh ingredients well cooked, but also teachers
St Mary's School is delighted to work with YMCA's Canteen for our catering:
- Adhering to the Government's School Food Trust Eat Better Do Better Guidelines.
- Use good quality fresh ingredients to produce unprocessed meals.
- Follow the Governments Safer Food Better Business procedures.
- Hire a cook with the correct catering qualifications.
- All catering staff will be CRB checked and trained to a high standard.
- Introduce and follow COSSH and catering risk assessment procedures.
- Follow best catering environmental practices. (having recently been filmed for Channel 4 for our quality of environmental practices).
- Canteen school meal web site to offer information to parents and children.
- A close working relationship between Canteen services and school to produce a consistent healthy eating message.
- Whole school approach to catering.
As part of our small school ethos - staff will eat their lunches with the children. The school kitchen has been totally refurbished so that meals can be cooked on site.